Tempura Green BeansRecipe By: Martha Stewart
Try this recipe for Tempura Green Beans from Martha Stewart’s Vegetables by the editors of Martha Stewart Living.
Green beans make excellent candidates for tempura, since you get a nice contrast of light, puffy crust and tender beans that retain some of their trademark crispness.
- 1 ¼ cups Dijon mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 teaspoons hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¾ cup honey
- Grapeseed or safflower oil
- 4 large egg whites
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons club soda or seltzer (from a new bottle)
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- Coarse salt
- Heat mustards, hot sauce, soy sauce, and honey in a pan over low, whisking, until smooth and heated through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; let cool.
- Heat 4 inches of oil in a large pot over medium high until oil reaches 350°F on a deep-fry thermometer. Meanwhile, whisk egg whites to soft peaks. Whisk in flour and club soda just until combined, with lumps remaining.
- Working in batches, dip beans into batter, letting any excess drip off, then carefully place in hot oil. Cook, stirring occasionally to keep beans from sticking together, until light golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer beans to paper-towel-lined plate to drain; season with salt. Repeat with remaining beans, returning oil to 350°F between batches. Serve immediately, with dipping sauce.