Roasted Onion DipRecipe By: Kristen Eppich
Total Time: 45 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
It’s tempting to stir the onions while caramelizing, but be patient and leave them untouched until they take on that rich, dark colour in the pan
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp dry white wine
- Kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Freshly ground pepper
- Assorted vegetables and crackers
Directions Yield: Serves 6
- Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add oil and onion, and stir to coat. Cook, untouched, for 10 minutes (the bottom of the onion slices will take on a dark color).
- Continue cooking, stirring, for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until onion becomes sweet and caramelized.
- Add wine to pan to deglaze, scraping up brown bits. Cook 1 more minute, or until wine has cooked off. Remove from heat, season lightly with salt and let cool.
- In large bowl, combine sour cream, garlic, herbs, lemon juice and zest. Fold in onions. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to serving bowl and garnish with parsley. Serve with assorted vegetables and crackers.