Creamy Polenta With Roasted Corn
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Roasted in its husk on a grill or at the edge of a fire, corn develops the perfect mix of smokiness and sweetness while the husk keeps it from drying out. This recipe combines three of the most delicious foods imaginable: creamy polenta, sweet Italian mascarpone and grilled summer corn.
Yield: Serves 6
- In Dutch oven or large, heavy saucepan, combine water and salt, and bring to a boil.
- Gradually whisk in polenta, beating vigorously until mixture has consistency of thin soup.
- Reduce heat to low, partially cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until tender and texture is creamy.
Grill Corn & Cook Scallions
- Meanwhile, over indirect heat, grill corn in their husks. Husks will smoke and begin to char. Rotate cobs every 4 to 5 minutes. When kernels give a little under husks (after around 15 minutes), remove from heat, remove husks when just cool enough to handle, then slice kernels from cobs.
- Toss scallions with olive oil and season with salt. Grill over direct heat for 2 minutes, or until softened and slightly charred. Coarsely chop scallions and reserve.
Finish Polenta & Serve
- To polenta add butter, Parmesan, mascarpone, chopped scallions and corn kernels. Season, to taste, but don’t overstir. Top with black pepper, more grated Parmesan and, if you’re into butter, a bit more butter, too.
Author: Chris Nuttall-Smith
House & Home June 2020